Re: [Gluster-devel] RFC - "Connection Groups" concept

From: Stephan von Krawczynski
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] RFC - "Connection Groups" concept
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 16:58:54 +0200

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:37:23 -0400
Joe Landman <address@hidden> wrote:

> No.  One of the largest issues we and our customers have been having for
> years has been tightly tying gluster volume creation to single IP
> addresses.  This makes multihomed usage, well, problematic, at best.
> Worse than this, is the use of the DNS name (or other name) which,
> exactly as Jeff indicates, tightly ties the brick/mount point to a
> particular interface.

Please explain your terminology. "Multihomed" in a provider context means you
have multiple external connections with _static_ IPs (maybe same AS, maybe
different). Do you use "multihomed" as synonym for "dynamic IP" here?
If so let me ask if you think that the vast majority of the users of a
filesystem use _server nodes_ with dynamic IPs?

Stephan