Re: [Gluster-devel] [FEEDBACK] Governance of GlusterFS project

From: Amar Tumballi
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] [FEEDBACK] Governance of GlusterFS project
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 07:59:04 +0530

Avati,

Glad that such a discussion came up :-)

Few comments inline.

  Here are some specific topics to seed the discussion:

- Core team formation
  - what are the qualifications for membership (e.g contributions of code, doc, packaging, support on irc/lists, how to quantify?)
  - what are the responsibilities of the group (e.g direction of the project, project roadmap, infrastructure, membership)

 - Core team structure/membership/goal is most important of all, as most probably the responsibility of the group will be having a bearing on all the below bullet points.
 - One thing to consider is, do we have any limit on number of people @ core team ?
    -> If not, then we have a long term problem of once people get in, they may loose focus, interest etc (mgmt issues)
    -> If yes, what is the number, and then how long is the membership valid ? (6months? 1yr? 2yr?)

- Roadmap
  - process of proposing features
  - process of selection of features for release

Good to start with some guidelines from other projects.

- Release management
  - timelines and frequency
  - release themes
  - life cycle and support for releases
  - project management and tracking

Same here, would be good to follow other project to start with, and then corrections as we see it.

- Project maintainers
  - qualification for membership
  - process and evaluation

Again, same questions like core team membership applies here.
Considering we are talking about whole project maintainership here, one criteria should be the depth of understanding about framework.
- In considering contributions, just the number of contribution (ie, patch count etc) alone should not be the goal here, but the impact of the changes on the project also should be a metric.

Regards,
Amar