Re: [Gluster-devel] [FEEDBACK] Governance of GlusterFS project

From: Emmanuel Dreyfus
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] [FEEDBACK] Governance of GlusterFS project
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 18:23:36 +0200

Anand Avati <address@hidden> wrote:

>   We are in the process of formalizing the governance model of the
> GlusterFS project. Historically, the governance of the project has been
> loosely structured. This is an invitation to all of you to participate in
> this discussion and provide your feedback and suggestions on how we should
> evolve a formal model.

IMO GlusterFS needs a governance that fits core developpers' tastes.
After all we speak about making decisions impacting the way they work.

As a minor contributor, I do not feel legitimate to push in any
direction. I can just share my experience in governance in projets I
know about (NetBSD, milter-greylist), if someone is interested.

I can also point what looks like governance failure to me. It is a bit
annoying to have a show-stopper bug and see release cycle going from qa
to alpha to beta to release just like a river flows to the sea. Other
already said it, but there need to be some process to settle (bug,
feature) vs (release schedule) conflicts. It can be a single release
engineer, a release engineering team as a round table, or a democratic
vote from whatever group is prefered, but at least there should be some
accounted decision here.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz