Re: [Gluster-devel] RPM re-structuring

From: Deepak C Shetty
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] RPM re-structuring
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 15:12:31 +0530

On 08/05/2013 02:41 PM, Niels de Vos wrote:
On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 10:59:32AM +0530, Deepak C Shetty wrote:
I am a bit lost here.. so pardon me if I am misquoting something.
But I really wanted to know where does /usr/sbin/gluster sits, i
mean which RPM ?

Currently VDSM needs /usr/sbin/gluster since thats needed by gluster
cli plugin of VDSM.
This gluster plugin gets used to query the transport type as part of
GLUSTERFS_DOMAIN storage domain usecase.

Currently, this is what i see...

rpm -qf /usr/sbin/gluster
glusterfs-server-3.4.0beta1-1.fc17.x86_64

which means for somebody to use gluster vdsm plugin, one needs to
install glusterfs-server rpm.

But from VDSM spec file...

%if 0%{?with_gluster}
%package gluster
BuildArch:      noarch

Requires: %{name} = %{version}-%{release}
Requires: glusterfs >= 3.4.0
Requires: glusterfs-server
Requires: glusterfs-fuse
Requires: glusterfs-rdma
Requires: python-magic

which means, that if the hypervisor host is not a gluster node,
vdsm-gluster RPM is optional
and if User doesn't install it.. he won't get glusterfs-server, and
hence no /usr/sbin/gluster
This is indeed correct. Currently the glusterfs-server package contains
the 'gluster' binary. I think there are use-cases where this cli can be
used on systems that are not storage servers themselves (no
glusterfs-server package, no glusterfsd processes).

In order to assist with this use-case, the 'gluster' cli binary could
be:

a. moved to the main 'glusterfs' package
b. placed in a glusterfs-cli package (-server requires -cli)

If solution a is selected, users that have only the glusterfs (and -api
or similar) installed might be confused about the useless 'gluster'
binary. Therefor my preference goes to creating a -cli package that
contains the binary (and man-page) only.

IIUC, per the prev threads.. glusterfs package has a dep on glusterfs-libs and in a typical hyp. only host environment (eg. VDSM) we need the glusterfs-libs (for qemu libgfapi) and gluster binary (for VDSM to query volume info as part of GLUSTERFS_DOMAIN). So option 'a' seems good to me, in the sense that one pkg install and User gets all the needed stuff for hyp. only host usecase.

Also the 'gluster' binary as-is is not useless. Are you saying so because the hyp. only host isn't a gluster peer ?

For eg: VDSM uses 'gluster volume info --remote-host=<ip/hostname of gluster node>' (works in both hyp. only host and gluster peer cases) so not sure why you say its useless ?

thanx,
deepak

Kaleb, Bala, whats your opinion?

Cheers,