Re: [Gluster-devel] Snapshot design for glusterfs volumes

From: Brian Foster
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Snapshot design for glusterfs volumes
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 08:41:47 -0400

On 08/02/2013 02:26 AM, Shishir Gowda wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We propose to implement snapshot support for glusterfs volumes in release-3.6.
>
> Attaching the design document in the mail thread.
>
> Please feel free to comment/critique.

Hi Shishir,

Thanks for posting this. A couple questions:

- The stage-1 prepare section suggests that operations are blocked
(barrier) in the callback, but later on in the doc it indicates incoming
operations would be held up. Does barrier block winds and unwinds, or
just winds? Could you elaborate on the logic there?

- This is kind of called out in the open issues section with regard to
write-behind, but don't we require some kind of operational coherency
with regard to cluster translator operations? Is it expected that a
snapshot across a cluster of bricks might not be coherent with regard to
active afr transactions (and thus potentially require a heal in the
snap), for example?

Brian