Re: [Gluster-devel] handling open fds and graph switches

From: Raghavendra Gowdappa
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] handling open fds and graph switches
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 07:52:41 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----

If there is more than one posix fd (fd opened on backend filesystem) with same
flags, its not really an issue. For our purposes it doesn't make any
difference. Within glusterfs we'll anyways be using a different fd object (to
maintain lock state etc). At the posix level all we need is an fd opened with
correct flags. We can dup one of these (posix) fds and associate the duped fd
with glusterfs fd object. Please note that returning glfs_fd_object (with a
reference) won't work here, since the glusterfs fd object we are migrating
might have different lock state than the one having posix fd opened with same
flags. We need to dup the posix fd and associate that fd with a new glusterfs
fd object.

> 2) Another problem is open-behind. Fuse xlator after nameless lookup,
> sends syncop_open to migrate the fds. Once the syncop_open is complete
> and fds are migrated, PARENT_DOWN event is sent on the old graph and the
> client xlator sends release on all the fds (if the previous syncop_open
> is successful, then its safe to send release from old graph as the new
> fd would have been migrated to the new graph, with corresponding fd
> present in the brick). But before that in syncop_open, open-behind might
> have sent success to the fuse without actually winding the open call to
> the below xlators. Now fuse gets success for the open, sends PARENT_DOWN
> to old graph, which sends release on the fd. Thus even though a fd is
> present from application's point of view, there are no mechanisms to
> access the file (as the fds and gfid handles have been removed already.)

Introduce a key in xdata "force-open" in open fop and if that key is set, make
open-behind to not to delay open.