[Gluster-devel] Proposal for Gluster 3.5: Better peer identification

From: Kaushal M
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Proposal for Gluster 3.5: Better peer identification
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 16:35:06 +0530

Hi all,
We recently had a mailing list discussion about the current problems
with peer identification and handling multiple networks. This proposal
is regarding better identification of peers.

Currently, the way we identify peers is not consistent all through the
gluster code. We use uuids internally and hostnames externally. This
setup works pretty well when all the peers are on a single network,
have one address, and are referred to in all the gluster commands with
same address. But once we start mixing up addresses in the commands
(ip, shortnames, fqdn) and bring in multiple networks we have
problems.

The problems were discussed in the following mailing list threads and
some solutions were proposed.
 - How do we identify peers? [1]
 - RFC - "Connection Groups" concept [2]

The solution to the multi-network problem is dependent on the solution
to the peer identification problem. So it'll be good to target fixing
the peer identification problem asap, ie. in 3.5 , and take up the
networks problem later.

Thoughts?

- Kaushal

--