Re: [Gluster-devel] Proposal for Gluster 3.5: New test framework

From: Vijay Bellur
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Proposal for Gluster 3.5: New test framework
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:10:14 +0530

On 08/12/2013 10:37 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
Hi all,

For Gluster 3.5, I'd like to propose we get some kind of
*multi-node* testing framework in place for Gluster.

The existing test framework is single node only, which
doesn't fit well for a distributed file system.

I've recently looked into Autotest in depth, but ruled
it out since it's:

  * Linux only (ugh)
  * Very hard to figure out for newbies
  * Close to zero documentation
  * Opaque/unreadable source
  * Painful to work with :(

Potentially we could use STAF (staf.sourceforge.net).
I've not investigated this in depth yet, but from it's
website it's:

  * Cross Platform
    http://staf.sourceforge.net/current/STAFFAQ.htm#d0e36

  * Seems like extensive documentation, and usable with
    several languages:
    http://staf.sourceforge.net/current/STAFPython.htm

  * Seems like a _reasonably_ active Community
    http://sourceforge.net/p/staf/mailman/staf-users/

I'll put this info into a Feature Page if people think
it's worth writing up and taking further.

+1. I think this would be really nice to have.

-Vijay