Re: [Gluster-devel] Proposal for Gluster 3.5: New test framework

From: Lalatendu Mohanty
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Proposal for Gluster 3.5: New test framework
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 21:58:24 +0530

On 08/14/2013 06:06 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
On 14/08/2013, at 7:43 AM, Anand Avati wrote:
Justin,

Thanks for firing up this thread. Are there notable projects which use these
frameworks?
Autotest is used by the Linux kernel (its main claim to
fame), and is also used by KVM.

STAF seems to have originally been an IBM internal
project that was open sourced.  Seems to have been around
for years.
Vmware also uses STAF/STAX for their automation. Other storage vendors like EMC/Netapp/Oracle uses their in-house proprietary automation frameworks.

-Lala

Haven't yet looked at further alternatives, as I was
mostly expecting Autotest to be ok.  Wrongly it turns out. :(

It would be wise to do some proper investigation/shortlisting
of potential frameworks before immediately jumping into
an investigation of STAF.

Do you have any info on what other distributed storage projects use for their
automated testing?
The Ceph project used Autotest some time ago as well, but
it didn't meet their needs so they created their own:

   Teuthology
   https://github.com/ceph/teuthology

   Their historical Autotest stuff
   https://github.com/ceph/autotest
   https://github.com/ceph/ceph-autotests

I looked over Teuthology quickly, and it seems decent but it's very
Ceph oriented/optimised.  Not a general purpose thing we could pick
up and use without extensive modification. :(

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Thanks,
Avati