Re: [Gluster-devel] RFC/Review: libgfapi object handle based extensions

From: Anand Avati
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] RFC/Review: libgfapi object handle based extensions
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 09:11:05 -0700

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 4:49 AM, Emmanuel Dreyfus <address@hidden> wrote:
Justin Clift <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Towards this we need some extensions to gfapi that can handle object
> >based operations. Meaning, instead of using full paths or relative paths
> > rom cwd, it is required that we can work with APIs, like the *at POSIX
> > variants, to be able to create, lookup, open etc. files and directories.
> <snip>
>
> Any idea if this would impact our *BSD compatibility? :)

NetBSD 6.1 only have partial linkat(2). NetBSD-current (will-be
NetBSD-7.0) has all extended API set 2, except fexecve(2) and O_EXEC for
which no consensus was reached on how to implment it securely.

In a nutshell, switching to *at() kills NetBSD compatibility until next
major release, but I already know it will be restored at that time.

The context here is the POSIX-"like" style of API exposed by GFAPI, and not dependent on what syscalls the platform provides. Good to know (separately) that the *at() syscalls will be supported in NetBSD in sometime.

Avati