Re: [Gluster-devel] Glupy bugs: found the solution?

From: Niels de Vos
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Glupy bugs: found the solution?
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 09:37:11 +0100

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 06:57:07PM +0100, Justin Clift wrote:
<snipped some pdb/PyCharm stuff I'm not familiar with>
> > > Kind of suspecting it might be the libgfapi stuff (not Swift)
> > > getting picked up on my system instead of Glupy.  But really,
> >
> > That is correct. Recent glusterfs-api RPMs provide
> > /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/gluster/gfapi.py so that a future swift
> > implementation can use that. It is also trivial to write your own Python
> > script that imports gluster.gfapi and accesses volumes through libgfapi.
> > See slide 10 from
> > http://people.redhat.com/ndevos/talks/Gluster-Stockholm-20130902.pdf for
> > a minimal example.
>
> Yeah, that's why I was thinking it was libgfapi stuff getting pulled in
> not Swift.  The import line in your pdf needs updating btw, as the
> import line for current git head needs to be:
>
>   from gluster import gfapi

Ah, right. I'm not sure I'll update that because at the time of the
presentation one needed to use the git repository. During the Gluster
Community Day in Stockholm someone (sorry, can't remember the name)
asked if gfapi.py could not be included in the packages. Good question,
and it showed I wasn't the only one who would benefit from that ;-)

> <snip>
> > the Python package 'gluster' will be the base for other modules. Hence
> > we have created put the api bindings in gluster/gfapi.py. I think it
> > would make sense to rename the Glupy module gluster.glupy. If it can be
> > placed in /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/gluster/glupy.py things would
> > be even nicer :)
>
> That would make the import line:
>
>   from gluster import glupy
>
> Wouldn't it?  No objections to that, it's fairly simple and pretty logical. :)

Yes, that's my suggestion. I am not maintaining or developing Glupy, so
it is not my call and I have no insight if this would make things more
complex somewhere else. I'm still planning to have a look at Glupy, but
I have not found the time to do so yet...

Niels