Re: [Gluster-devel] Qemu glusterfs, exposing complete bricks instead of

From: Sander Eikelenboom
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Qemu glusterfs, exposing complete bricks instead of individual images as shared storage to VM's ?
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 00:46:20 +0100

Saturday, November 30, 2013, 12:32:50 AM, you wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Sander Eikelenboom <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>  I'm using glusterfs for quite some time on my server for shared-storage to
> VM's.
>  At the moment this had to go over tcp/ip bridge between host and guests, so
>  i was interested in the option to use glusterfs directly with qemu. But it
> seems it
>  only supports to expose individual images files that reside on a glusterfs
> brick.
>
>  Would it be possible to extend this and make a complete brick available as
> disk to qemu as shared storage ?
>  (so multiple vm's and the host can share this same storage space)

> Sounds like you want to use Gluster as a backing store for the VM images
> through qemu, but in addition, you probably want to mount a common glusterfs
> volume inside the vms as well. That's how you do it!

But that common glusterfs would be using tcp/ip then and not libgfapi or not ?

Could be i'm misreading the docs but specifying the image file seems mandatory:

Gluster drive specification in QEMU
­drive file=gluster://server[:port]/volname/image[?transport=...]

And since using libgfapi should benefit performance by removing the necessity
to converting everything to networking packets and vice versa.

So it would be nice if i could do:

VM1 qemu:
­drive file=gluster://server[:port]/volname

VM qemu:
­drive file=gluster://server[:port]/volname

And that volume would be mountable in the VM (as a block device), don't know if
that would be easily possible
though since it probably is not a real normal block device.