Re: [Gluster-devel] Gluster driver for Archipelago - Development process

From: Vijay Bellur
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Gluster driver for Archipelago - Development process
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 23:24:19 +0530

On 12/06/2013 07:46 PM, Alex Pyrgiotis wrote:

Alex: Thanks for this very detailed mail. It makes things quite clear to me.

Summing up:

My opinion is that persistent locking is of secondary importance, as it
can be handled in application level. Async open with O_CREAT on the
other hand isn't.

Thus, I propose for the first phase to make the open() call non-blocking
and possibly add the O_CREAT flag. For our part, we can benchmark the
performance of the current driver and measure it against any
improvements that occur along the road.

For the second phase, we can work out a persistent locking scheme that
would benefit both parties.

Finally, the third phase can revolve around making the rest of the
blocking calls non-blocking.

So, what do you think?

Agree with you here. We can knock off things in the order that you mention. We will start working on the non-blocking open() implementation and let you folks know when it is ready. We can then pick up subsequent integration activities.

Thanks,
Vijay