Re: [Gluster-devel] Gluster Programmers' Guide

From: Vijay Bellur
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Gluster Programmers' Guide
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 22:33:07 +0530

On 01/08/2014 09:57 PM, Jeffrey Darcy wrote:
We have already selected markdown as the documentation system for
GlusterFS. markdown is not very different from asciidoc and the last
time I checked pandoc would not consider asciidoc as input and hence
moved to markdown.

I love Markdown, which I use for my blog.  On the other hand, for a
longer document I'd prefer a richer format.  Looking at the .md files
in the admin guide, I was immediately struck by how unreadable they
are e.g. because of manually formatted tables.  AsciiDoc seems to have
real table support, plus other things like footnotes, sidebars,
thumbnails, header/footer includes, repleaceable macros, etc.  Those
sorts of higher-level features make editing and collaboration a lot
easier than the kind of manual formatting necessary with Markdown.
It also appears that AsciiDoc converts trivially into DocBook, which
pandoc does accept.

Agree that there are obvious advantages with asciidoc for features that you mention.

Saying that "we" have settled on Markdown seems a bit premature when
parts of the project are also using AsciiDoc.

Looking back at my original post, I seem to have conveyed a sense that "we" have settled on Markdown but that never has been our intent. My response was more directed towards previous queries on whether we have a format for managing our documentation. markdown is a *huge* win over docbook and the fact that we got a few patches in markdown as opposed to none when it was docbook does make it look like a better choice than before :).

If we look at gerrit when the markdown conversion was posted or subsequent discussions around documentation, we have always been open to the idea of moving all documentation to asciidoc.

A format that makes it easier to
create the initial content matters more.  So does a format that makes
it easier to update that content in ways we can predict, such as using
macros to mark recently changed API details.  For all its strengths, I
don't see Markdown as that kind of format.

Agree here.

We can possibly adhere to this model going forward:

1. Use markdown for whatever is currently in that format.

2. Use asciidoc or markdown for new documents that we evolve.

3. Have a switchover from markdown to asciidoc at some point in time so that we have a uniform mechanism for handling documentation.

Do we need any other formats for documentation apart from these two? I hope not :).

Thanks,
Vijay