[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS 4.0 round two?

From: Jeffrey Darcy
Subject: [Gluster-devel] GlusterFS 4.0 round two?
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 17:00:44 -0500 (EST)

I know we're all busy with other things, but it has been a little over a month
since this discussion started.  There are a lot of really good comments on the
Google Docs version (http://goo.gl/qLw3Vz) and we're at risk of "losing our
place" if we don't try to keep things going.  In particular, the issue of how
these plans relate to 3.6 feature planning, which also needs to conclude soon.
To pick a couple of examples:

* There's a 3.6 item to make glusterd more scalable, but there are many more
  scalability issues that need to be addressed and the later 4.0 proposal
  tries to tackle a few.  Should we even try to address scalability in the
  3.x series, or just leave it entirely to 4.x?  If we try to do both, how
  should we resolve the incompatibilities that the second proposal introduces
  relative to the first?

* One of the hottest 3.6 items is tiering, data classification, whatever you
  want to call it.  I say it's hot because everyone else - e.g. Ceph, HDFS,
  Swift - has recognized this as an important feature and they're all making
  significant moves here.  Again, the 4.0 proposal contains some ideas that
  touch on this, not always compatible with earlier ideas.  Which should we
  work on, and how should we address their differences?

If we don't complete the discussions about 4.0, we won't be able to reach any
reasonable conclusions about when/how it should diverge from 3.x.  Should we
set a deadline for a second draft and/or an IRC meeting to discuss the comments
we've already collected?