Re: [Gluster-devel] Embedding debug symbols in glusterfsd

From: Jeff Darcy
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Embedding debug symbols in glusterfsd
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 17:44:02 -0500 (EST)

I also tried with "export enable_debug=yes" as suggested in [1] without success.

At the end of ./configure it indeed says "Enable Debug: yes", and when doing "make -n" I can see that the correct flags "-g -O0" are passed to gcc. My guess is that at some point of "make install" the debug symbols are striped, but I don't see where.

Can anyone guide me on how to embed the debug symbols in the gluster daemon?

[1] http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2013-December/038390.html

As the cited email mentions, executables seem to get stripped even with
enable_debug set, but libraries (including translators) should be fine. I've
been building that way (using rpmbuild) and successfully debugging translators
all day today. On the very rare occasions that I want to debug the
gluster{d,fs,fsd,shd} executable itself, I grab the unstripped version from
here:

/rpmbuild/BUILD/glusterfs-3git/glusterfsd/src/.libs/glusterfsd

In the past I've used some other tricks to disable the stripping phase of
rpmbuild, but it seems like those wouldn't apply if you're just doing "make
install" instead. In fact, I'm not even sure why things would get stripped
that way, but our build process is so screwy I only look at it when something
breaks.