Re: [Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] Testing replication and HA

From: Kaushal M
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] Testing replication and HA
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 13:07:36 +0530

The 42 second hang is most likely the ping timeout of the client translator.

What most likely happened was that, the brick on annex3 was being used
for the read when you pulled its plug. When you pulled the plug, the
connection between the client and annex3 isn't gracefully terminated
and the client translator still sees the connection as alive. Because
of this the next fop is also sent to annex3, but it will timeout as
annex3 is dead. After the timeout happens, the connection is marked as
dead, and the associated client xlator is marked as down. Since afr
now know annex3 is dead, it sends the next fop to annex4 which is
still alive.

These kinds of unclean connection terminations are only handled by
request/ping timeouts currently. You could set the ping timeout values
to be lower, to reduce the detection time.

~kaushal