Re: [Gluster-devel] Regarding involvement of Gluster in GSOC 2014

From: John Mark Walker
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Regarding involvement of Gluster in GSOC 2014
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 21:17:50 -0500 (EST)

Vipul,

Having given this some thought, I think we should still submit as part of another organization. We simply don't have the resources to devote to begin a mentoring organization. The obvious choice for mentoring org is Fedora - I recommend that you put your idea here: https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/profile/register/org_member/google/gsoc2014

- and list KP as your mentor, assuming KP is fine with this. If there's another organization that you'd prefer to go under, feel free to submit the idea there, instead.

In the meantime, I'll delete the old GlusterFS project ideas as they're old and no longer apply to the community now.

If anyone feels strongly that we should be a mentoring org, you are of course welcome to submit Gluster as such (after conferring with the community board), but it would require putting together an ideas page and making sure there are adequate mentors avialable - which has traditionally been difficult to do.

Thanks,
JM

Thank you for reminding us about this. We have not been able to dedicate the time in previous years to make this successful, but I think this could be the year where we enter as an independent organization.

If the deadline is fast approaching, then we should discuss this in the weekly meeting today.

Thanks!
JM