Re: [Gluster-devel] Introducing a new option to gluster peer command.

From: James
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Introducing a new option to gluster peer command.
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 22:53:30 -0400

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:29 PM, Nagaprasad Sathyanarayana
<address@hidden> wrote:
> In the current design, gluster peer probe does the job of both probing the
> server and adding it to trusted pool. Once the server is added to trusted
> pool, it can be detached usingpeer detach command.
>
> Wondering if it makes sense to bring in gluster peer attach command to add
> the server to trusted pool. The peer probe command will only prove the
> server mentioned and tells if it is reachable. It can also be enhanced to do
> some diagnostics such as probing specific ports.

Do I understand correctly:

gluster peer attach would attach the probing server into the pool it
is probing, correct?
If so, and if it is already a member of a pool, could you join two
different pools together?
I don't know what the gluster internals implications are, but as long
as I understand this correctly, then I think it would benefit the
management side of glusterfs.

It would certainly make peering more decentralized, as long as double
peering or running a simultaneous peer attach and peer probe don't
cause issues. This last point is very important :)

Cheers,
James