Re: [Gluster-devel] Interested in improving usability of Wireshark for G

From: M S Vishwanath Bhat
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Interested in improving usability of Wireshark for Gluster?
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 20:02:41 +0530

On 13/04/14 15:26, Niels de Vos wrote:
Hi all,

since a while I have been working on adding and improving support for
debugging and analyzing network traffic from Gluster. Being able to read
the details from a network capture that contains Gluster traffic has
already been a major help while debugging issues that customers reported
for Red Hat Storage (based on Gluster).

Because debugging problems and analyzing network captures is part of my
job, I should be relatively experienced in working with Wireshark. It
seems that others have an interest in using Wireshark for checking
Gluster network traffic too. The current support for Gluster in
Wireshark is very usable, but there are several things that can be made
a little easier. For this, I have started a TODO list[1] on the wiki[2]
of the Wireshark project on the Gluster Forge[3].

I'd like to ask anyone who is interested in analyzing Gluster network
traffic with Wireshark to:
I am interested in learning more about wireshark for glusterfs.
* document example steps and procedures that help with looking into
   captured network traffic, add them (or a link) to the wiki[2]
I can start with this. I have a fair bit of understanding about wireshark and have used it in the past.
* add ideas to the TODO list[1]
* work on items from the TODO list[1]
* write patches, post merge requests or file patches upstream
I am interested in learning and writing patches for it too :)

But I'm bit weary about committing to any timeline. I'm more likely to have less free time in the coming days. :(

But can always work it out over the weekend.

Best Regards,
Vishwanath

Please let me know if you have any questions related to Gluster and
Wireshark. I'm happy to explain some tactics that can be used to analyze
your network traffic in return for a detailed mailinglist-post,
blog-post or wiki update ;-)

Cheers,
Niels

[1] https://forge.gluster.org/wireshark/pages/Todo