Re: [Gluster-devel] Is there any document about Glusterfs internal archi

From: Jeff Darcy
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Is there any document about Glusterfs internal architecture?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:44:54 -0400 (EDT)

> I am not sure if this is the right mailing list for this topic. Sorry if I am
> sending to wrong mailing list.

> I wonder if there is any document about Glusterfs internal architecture which
> can guide me to read source code. How can I get familiar with Glusterfs
> source code?

Basically there is no such document.  There are some presentations here
that give good overviews:

http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Presentations

I've written my own "Translator 101" series and some articles about some
of the more important components here:

http://hekafs.org/index.php/2011/11/translator-101-class-1-setting-the-stage/
http://hekafs.org/index.php/2011/11/translator-101-lesson-2-init-fini-and-private-context/
http://hekafs.org/index.php/2011/11/translator-101-lesson-3-this-time-for-real/
http://hekafs.org/index.php/2011/11/translator-101-lesson-4-debugging-a-translator/
http://hekafs.org/index.php/2012/03/glusterfs-algorithms-replication-present/
http://hekafs.org/index.php/2012/03/glusterfs-algorithms-distribution/

I'm also giving a presentation about replication this afternoon at Red
Hat Summit, and (I think) I can publish those slides.  I have plans to
write a more comprehensive design document / programmers' guide, but I
keep getting thwarted by other demands so I haven't really been able to
get beyond a table of contents.  If you have specific questions, I and
others would be glad to answer as best we're able.