Re: [Gluster-devel] Puppet-Gluster+ThinP

From: Ric Wheeler
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Puppet-Gluster+ThinP
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 16:59:30 -0700

On 04/09/2014 03:18 PM, Paul Cuzner wrote:

I'm really interested in the thinp best practices too. gluster-deploy has had thinp support for a while now - and I asked the question about best practices a while back - but nothing came back..

Hopefully - you're timing is better than mine!

cc'ing Rajesh since the thinp is all about snapshot enablement.

The amount of space you set aside is very much workload dependent (rate of change, rate of deletion, rate of notifying the storage about the freed space).

Keep in mind with snapshots (and thinly provisioned storage, whether using a software target or thinly provisioned array) we need to issue the "discard" commands down the IO stack in order to let the storage target reclaim space.

That typically means running the fstrim command on the local file system (XFS, ext4, btrfs, etc) every so often. Less typically, you can mount your local file system with "-o discard" to do it inband (but that comes at a performance penalty usually).

There is also a event mechanism to help us get notified when we hit a target configurable watermark ("help, we are running short on real disk, add more or clean up!").

Definitely worth following up with the LVM/device mapper people on how to do this best,

Ric