gm2

Re: Unusual compiler error: 'unable to obtain the MIN value for type the

From: Alice Osako
Subject: Re: Unusual compiler error: 'unable to obtain the MIN value for type the ZType'
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 05:33:30 -0500

Benjamin Kowarsch:
The root cause of the error is most likely the expression

cp IN ASCIIRange

because cp (of type CARDINAL) is probably incompatible with the underlying type of ASCIIRange.

Modula-2 follows name equivalence and unlike C it does not use type promotion.

You could try to define ASCIIRange explicitly as a subtype of CARDINAL.

TYPE ASCIIRange = CARDINAL [32..127];

Or simply test against the boundaries.

CONST Min7BitPrinatble = 32; Max7BitPrintable = 127;

IF (cp >= Min7BitPrintable) AND (cp <= Max7BitPrintable) THEN ... END;

Ah, that explains it. Specifying ASCIIRange as a subtype of CARDINAL solves this problem, as well as two similar issues I had overlooked until now. The code as it is now does compile, thank you.

I will try working on some simple tests for the UTF-32 representation next, before addressing the UTF-8 to UTF-32 translations.