gm2

Portable bitwise operations library (was Re: Portability Considerations)

From: Alice Osako
Subject: Portable bitwise operations library (was Re: Portability Considerations)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 03:49:53 -0400

Eric Streit:
Hi Alice,

imho, I think this list is just perfect for the discussions about Modula2; Telegram Modula2 is not restricted by M2R10, we exchange about any Modula2 stuff (, and Oberon which is not very liked by Benjamin.)

Fair enough then, I will continue posting here unless someone says to stop.

In the meanwhile, I have worked out most of a version of the bitwise library for GNU Modula-2 on x86_64. I did use inline assembly extensively, but if this is a problem I can easily re-write it as stand-alone assembly functions.

See https://github.com/Schol-R-LEA/Modula-2-Portable-Bit-Manipulation for the current status of this project.