gm2

Re: proctype and procedure type checking fully implemented

From: Alice Osako
Subject: Re: proctype and procedure type checking fully implemented
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:09:48 -0400

Fischlin Andreas:
Dear all,

Perhaps in this context it may amuse you to read the attached pamphlet from Niklaus Wirth (in case you should not know it already):

Wirth, N., 1976. Professor Cleverbyte's visit to heaven. Institut für Informatik, ETH, Zürich. Internal Report 17, 25-31.    Wi049

If I am not mistaken, the 'standards committee debate' is made up entirely of quotes from various papers, textbooks, and standards documents of the time. The one directly mentioning Algol 68 is, I think, from the standard for that very language, which at the time was the largest standard document ever published.

Ah, those sweet, innocent days when the largest language standard could fit into a single book of less than 1000 pages!

(The third revision of the Algol 68 standard was 235 pages and was considered incredibly bloated at the time. The current C standard, by contrast, is more than double that length just for the core language, with a separate standard document for the standard library. The C++ standard is something like 1200 pages for the core language, with separate documents defining the standard library and STL.)