gnats-prs

gnats/669: Re: gnats/669: missing @XXX@ keyword substitutions in do_subs

From: bug-gnats
Subject: gnats/669: Re: gnats/669: missing @XXX@ keyword substitutions in do_subst
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:55:01 -0500 (CDT)

The following reply was made to PR gnats/669; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:46:05 -0500

 I think I am making things more complicated than they need to be.  We
 have two types of file substitutions going on here.  One that would
 benefit from the powers of autoconf (for example, the ECHO_N/ECHO_C
 substitution), and one that can only work AFTER variable expansion
 (dbconfig and databases files).

 So, we keep the do_subst macro in common.am, strip it down to only
 those variables necessary for files that must have values after
 variable expansion.  We then dump the rest into the autoconf process.
 That does mean we need to include all of the path-like variables
 within each shell script that might use one or two of them.

 For example, for $bindir to work, we may also need $prefix and
 $exec_prefix, especially if the person configuring the software
 specifies the $bindir as ${prefix} rather than spelling it out.

 This only works for shell scripts, though.  If we ever need to expand
 paths w/in other source code, we may need to add to the do_subst
 procedure or rely upon DEFS.

 --
 Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>           http://www.wookimus.net/