gnomoradio-devel

Re: [gnomoradio-devel] Anyone out there? Ideas on collaborative music so

From: TOGoS
Subject: Re: [gnomoradio-devel] Anyone out there? Ideas on collaborative music soft
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 21:20:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Alexandre.

As your site says, the main detraction from Gnomoradio
is that it is pretty much specific to Gnome. But what
attracts me to it is that the technologies behind it
(HTTP, XML, RDF) are all very standard and open. This
is what inspired me to write my own client for it for
Windows, which would use Winamp as a media player.

Lesson 0: Winamp is hard to work with interprocess
communication.
Lesson 1: Implementing protocols and parsing data is
easy.
Lesson 2: Making a UI that effectively brings together
all your components is hard :)

I got a bit frustrated when I saw that there were some
bugs on the server side of things that weren't being
fixed, and I never really completed either of my 2
clients. However, the open-architectureness of the
Gnomoradio network would make it easy to mix and match
parts and use them in your own network. Looking at the
  Radio JABA website I couldn't really tell what kind
of protocols you're using for your backend, but I
think that a lot of the ideas behind Gnomoradio are
very good (I especially like using RDF to describe
songs and files), and would encourage you to use them
where appropriate. It is all documented here:
http://www.uwplatt.edu/~stevenda/projects/TCGnomoradio/protocols.html

(would someone like to put that file on the Gnomoradio
web site?)

--- Alexandre Van de Sande
<address@hidden> wrote:

>  Hello, is there anyone out there in this list?
>
> Gnomoradio is a bit silenced, just wanted to know if
> anyone still receives
> emails...
>
> Well if anyone does, just wanted to let you know
> that we built a site around
> some ideas based on the gnomoradio philosophy.
>
> www.wanderingabout.com/FreeMusic
> <http://www.wanderingabout.com/FreeMusic>
>
>  just to let you know. Thanks.

Discover Yahoo!