gnoppix-devel

Re: [Gnoppix-devel] Join as a developer of Gnoppix

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Gnoppix-devel] Join as a developer of Gnoppix
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:23:45 +0100

Hi,

Amish K. Munshi wrote:

What We want:For the localization we require Unicode support. GNOME 2.x
has support for unicode and we would like to use gnoppix as the base for

To be precise it is the Pango library that enables GTK to 'speak' languages with Unicode specifications.

My language, Tamil as of Pango 1.2.5 (released last week) is supported to satisfactory levels. So the translations can now be finally started in earnest on the free system for the free system :-)

I foresee Gnoppix as the way to get the highest quality translation team put together. The curse of many non standards encodings and support for them in M$ systems would keep a lot of Tamils *who need localised computing* away from free systems unless innovative methods are introduced. A customised Gnoppix, possibly with added freely distributable, non software related content will fullfill the all important advocay task in most parts of the planet.

[...]

Include indian languages in your distro: We wish to include the
translated po files  in your distribution. We wish to  have a seperate
gnoppix-indic iso's avaiable for downloads (for the starters a lang=hi (
for Hindi) paramter to the kernel will also work). Our translation work
in Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati and bangla will also be given to the sources
of the softwares hence everyone will be able to make use of it.

Tamil (of a distinct south Indian family when compared to the above interelated languages) is at the moment translated to 24% or thereabouts and we hope to catch up fast to be officially supported status in Gnome. (Actually Gnoppix is the most probable way to demonstrate localised Gnome to even most translators in the near future)

I suspect this to be the case with many other languages.
I also noticed the Knoppix list was also full of request for inclusion of different languages when the space started to run out.

With the above examples in mind I wonder whether it would be best (if not already planned this way) to plan for the long run with modular localisation facilities and good documentation on how to implement/achieve this?

Pango modules and any localisation tools that need localised content may stay in a standard Gnoppix distro but the po file bundles and in the future localised documentation bundles could proove to be a burden on space due to their fast growing nature. I feel more packages instead and good documentation on how to customise easily (possibly with scripts to do this) is a better choice.

Best regards,

Ramanan