gnoppix-devel

Re: [Gnoppix-devel] [gnome2.4] problem with gtk+2.0 dependency on non-ex

From: James Strandboge
Subject: Re: [Gnoppix-devel] [gnome2.4] problem with gtk+2.0 dependency on non-existent xlibs-pic
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:04:42 -0400

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 04:11, Sven Herzberg wrote:
> Am Mo, 2003-09-22 um 04.33 schrieb James Strandboge:
> > I am not an xfree86 expert, therefore I come to the list for help.  Just
> > so I could keep backporting, I just removed the build-dependency on
> > xlibs-pic.  However, gtk+2.0 has a patch that enables checking for and
> > using -lXinerama_pic instead of -lXinerama.  I checked xlibs-dev, and
> > found /usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.a in your xlibs-dev.
>
> > Would it be sufficient to remove this patch, therefore just using
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.a, or does more need to happe?.  My
> > understanding is that one of the things that differentiates gnome2.4
> > from gnome2.2 is that it is supposed to utilize Xinerama better, so I
> > want to make sure I get this right.
>
>   I would recommend to go on without this patch at the moment to procees
> with the backport but file a bug against gtk and xfree to have th
> pic-packages later. IIRC pic is good for memory sharing between apps so
> we should try to get it in later.

Well, the problem is xfree86 isn't in sid yet.  I am sure Branden will
do the right thing there, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.  I'll
disable for now, and if after backporting the rest of gnome 2.4 an
xfree86 4.3 is available with xlibs-pic then I will reenable it.

Jamie

--
Email:        address@hidden
GPG/PGP ID:   26384A3A