gnoppix-devel

Re: [Gnoppix-devel] regardng screens

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Gnoppix-devel] regardng screens
Date: 24 Oct 2003 12:32:57 +0100

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 07:16, ADeeL MuniR wrote:
> I want to know that in the Linux Bootable CD distribution project, the
> screens were made from scratch or the existing English environment was

By 'screens' I assume you are reffering to the 'visible components' of
the GNOME desktop (this will include various messages that pop up)

>  modified into required language by just translating strings on the
> same interface? Can anyone guide me for this? If they were made from
> scratch then how is this done or if they were just translated then
> also plz tell me the method. The language that I am interested in
> doesnt support Gnome translation.

I assume you meant to say the GNOME translation project (GTP)
<http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/>
does not support your language.

Is this what you mean?

> Looking for an encouraging response

The best thing to do is to talk to GTP to arrange support for your
language.
What it means is that a project/team for your language will be created.

This will enable you to download a special template file for each GNOME
software and translate them into a localised  PO file.
<http://www.gnu.org/manual/gettext/html_chapter/gettext_2.html#SEC9>

There are tools like Gtranslator or POEdit to help you translate.

Then you could begin by translating the visible components you need.
(it is a difficult task to ascertain what messgaes will be visible for
your needs I guess). Others could join and help you in the meanwhile
too.

Hope this is helpful.