gnoppix-devel

Re: [Gnoppix-devel] Was: GNOPPIX maintenance

From: Jean-Baptiste Quenot
Subject: Re: [Gnoppix-devel] Was: GNOPPIX maintenance
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:40:21 +0100

* Raphael Schmid:

> I'd like to add something to this  too, and honestly: I do not care if
> I'll be flamed.

You won't, it's true.

> The things you're currently doing  and (even more importantly) the way
> you  are doing  them makes  it  look to  a specatator  as though  this
> project is "mismanaged".

That's correct.

> Wait, make  that "not managed at  all". This is not meant  personal to
> anybody of you. I know Sven, Andreas and probably a whole lot of other
> people are putting much work and sweat into Gnoppix.

Many people *would* like to put work into Gnoppix.

> Question is  just: what in all  worlds are such _childish_  games like
> this ("internal mailing list or not") meant to accomplish? Do you know
> of  any  OpenSource  project  that  successfully  works  by  means  of
> _internal_mailing_lists_? That's ... ridiculous.

Let's forget that.   We will be discussing management  issues in -devel,
that's what Sven is suggesting and I understand his point of view, now.

> Another  thing: when  I complained  about something  with the  mailing
> lists a couple of months ago, Sven  asked me if I'd like to do mailing
> list maintenance. I considered and agreed. Following up on that, I was
> asked to talk to Andreas in the #gnoppix channel on IRC. It never came
> to exchanging  more than  a `hi',  if even  that much. How  are things
> expected to work like this?

I also  experienced that  when joining the  project for  maintaining the
website.  In fact Andreas is reachable by email, not on IRC AFAIK.

I believe that Andreas made a great  work.  But Andreas, if you hear me,
I  will  quote Eric  Raymond  to  remind all  of  us  one of  the  basic
principles of Open Source software:

        The crackers  and warez  d00dz [...]  hoard secrets  rather than
        sharing them;  one is  much more likely  to find  cracker groups
        distributing  sourceless executables  that  crack software  than
        tips that give away how they did it. [...] These magicians don't
        like to give away their  tricks. And, as a result, the knowledge
        base of the cracker culture as a whole increases only slowly.

And you know what?  I'll tell you a secret: Gnoppix is so much confusing
and obscure that I have *never*  used it.  My intention when joining the
project was to help make things more transparent.  As of today, in vain.
Maybe one  day I will give  a try, I did  it for Knoppix because  it was
clear, but not for Gnoppix yet.

Come on guys, make an effort for  sharing the gift instead of keeping it
secretly.  I  know that this art  piece is representing a  whole lot for
you, but help  it grow more rapidly.   After a few weeks I  can say that
there are serious management issues preventing the baby from growing.

I  renew  my  engagement  into  Gnoppix  by  wishing  to  improving  the
communication efforts,  as I'm  currently involved  in the  website, the
public area where people are supposed to get to know with it.

Sincerely yours,
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/