gnoppix-devel

Re: [Gnoppix-devel] Re: GNOPPIX maintenance

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Gnoppix-devel] Re: GNOPPIX maintenance
Date: 03 Nov 2003 19:16:47 +0000

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 15:08, Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
> * Sven Herzberg:
>
> > Am Sa, den 01.11.2003 schrieb Jean-Baptiste Quenot um 11:34:
> >
> > > All the  modifications you  did to Debian  should be  documented and
> > > available.  Everything  you did  to create a  new release  should be
> > > traced somewhere, preferably into a CVS repository.

It will be great if the developer could document. But we must help them
too.
I cannot offer any help here yet as my schedules are getting busier but
will try my best soon
http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Release-Practice-HOWTO/documentation.html

> > Well, this  is an idea,  but it's  not very debian-ish. In  my opinion
> > we  should  provide   all  the  changes  to  the   system  in  special
> > gnoppix-specific debian packages.

Could you explain this further please.

ie, Are you referring to 'documentation' as packages
or the newly introduced 'programs'  as packages.
(I avoid the word software to be clear)

> If  we do so, we can  simply make an
> > installation a *real* Debian by removing these files.

It looks like a valid point. This is the only way to satisfy the strict
DFSG guidelines avoid conflicts.
[Please don't point any debian people to this post if possible
:-)))...don't fancy a full blown war]

GNOME docs are under a licence that is the right thing IMO.It is a GNU
desktop anyway.

We are in the border of GNU and Debian.
I have no solution to propose except state my preferences.
But documentation is a must.

> Okay, we should  make debian packages, that's right.   But the principle
> is  the same:  provide everything  to build  automatically Gnoppix  from
> Woody.  And that « everything » must be made public.

It will be very surprising if anyone here will ever object to this.

> BTW how is the booting process  customized?  How to boot from a ramdisk,
> how to detect hardware,

Does Knoppix use discover now?

> and so on?  IMHO that requires documentation, it
> is not self-explaining.   Or maybe there are Knoppix docs  that we could
> link to?

I think squatting the knoppix.net documentation wiki is a good idea and
build up slowly from there.

All the best,

Ramanan