gnoppix-devel

Re: [Gnoppix-devel] GTK2-based Gnoppix Installer

From: Baeckeroot alain
Subject: Re: [Gnoppix-devel] GTK2-based Gnoppix Installer
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 14:59:23 +0100

Le Jeudi 1 Janvier 2004 18:50, Samuel a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to this list so I'll introduce myself: My name is Samuel Abels
> and I've done several open source projects before. I've recently had a
> look at the Gnoppix sources and figured that you still need a GUI
> HD-installer ;-). This morning, I've already had a discussion with
> "godsmacker" at #gnoppix and here's some of the conclusions that we've
> come to:
>
> * A GUI installer should be implemented using Perl.
> * It should be GTK2-based.
> * Implementation using the perl libglade wrappers (GladeXML).
> * I18N support should be implemented by having a single XML file
> containing all supported languages (UTF-8).
> * First of all, only a text based perl implementation should be made.
.../...

> Ok, I'd love to see others contributing, too, so I'd really appreciate
> any help, suggestions and discussions regarding that installer.

Hello and happy new year

I'm very silent on the list, so i should introduce myself: Alain B, preparing
a project for some Senegalese schools, with Linux, and a totally automated
installer (for full newbies)... with a knoppix/gnoppix like auto detection of
hardware.

I tried to hack the Mandrake installer, which is written in Perl , and i don't
know perl  ... so i let it away (i found it very confusing)
 It has a nice partition editor in perl, maybe it will interest you, and it
should be bugfree since 8.2-upgraded +

There are many installer-related project,
- Absolute complete installer for gurus (many CD and arch)= the new Debian one
- Simple one live-CD = gnoppix/knoppix
- Modular (sub CD size) = the most insteresting (for me) is Morphix

So i think it depends of what you need, but won't it be interesting to join
one of the existing team, instead of starting from scratch a huge difficult
job, which needs to be bug-free or else will be useless ;-)

Regards
Alain