gnoppix-devel

[Gnoppix-devel] Re: Gnoppix 0.6.0-RC2 with X.org Xserver

From: Keith Packard
Subject: [Gnoppix-devel] Re: Gnoppix 0.6.0-RC2 with X.org Xserver
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:23:21 -0800

Around 19 o'clock on Mar 23, Andreas Mueller wrote:

> The XOrg Server has been adopted by Gnoppix
>
> The XOrg Foundation Open Source Public Implementation of X11 is a fork
> from version 4.4 RC2, owing to disagreement with the new license.

Sounds great; looks like you guys are the first with an official release
using this code base.

Do note that we haven't finished a version of this software for release.
There aren't any technical changes pending aside from a few minor bugs, but
we have to satisfy our legal obligation to make sure we don't confuse
people about the origin of the software by misusing the XFree86 trademark.

It is a straightforward fork of XFree86 4.4 RC2 but not supported or
maintained by The XFree86 Project, Inc.  So, we have to fix various names
and addresses.  Expect these changes to affect file names and various
configuration options.

-keith