gnu-arch-users

Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: The bugfixing contest

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: The bugfixing contest
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 19:40:00 -0400

> I'm curious how you implement the 3-day head start: if I discover the bug
> and you post a fix the next day, do I get to send you the same fix 2 days
> later and claim the money because "my" fix is less than 3 days later
> than yours?

You mean this one of two ways. You mean either I did it in my role, or
some other third party did it.

I'll ask first if they intend to fix it. If its a third party that fixed
it, then I'll ask them which one deserves the patch reward. Odds are
good that either the bug-finder will say "Oh, I couldn't have fixed it
anyways, give it to him" or the patch-finder will say "nah. send it to
him." In what I'm predicting to be a rare, if neither of them can agree,
I'll do something to make them both happen.

Here's the problem I'm trying to avoid: I don't want people keeping a
bug to themselves for 3 days while they work on a patch.