gnu-emacs-sources

[GNU ELPA] Denote version 3.0.6

From: ELPA update
Subject: [GNU ELPA] Denote version 3.0.6
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2024 17:04:12 -0400

Version 3.0.6 of package Denote has just been released in GNU ELPA.
You can now find it in M-x list-packages RET.

Denote describes itself as:

  Simple notes with an efficient file-naming scheme

More at https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/denote.html

                   DENOTE: SIMPLE NOTES WITH AN EFFICIENT
                             FILE-NAMING SCHEME

                            Protesilaos Stavrou
                            info@protesilaos.com
             ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  This manual, written by Protesilaos Stavrou, describes the customization
  options for the Emacs package called `denote' (or `denote.el'), and
  provides every other piece of information pertinent to it.

  The documentation furnished herein corresponds to stable version 3.0.0,
  released on 2024-06-30.  Any reference to a newer feature which does not
  yet form part of the latest tagged commit, is explicitly marked as such.

  Current development target is 3.1.0-dev.

## Recent NEWS:

                         ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
                          CHANGE LOG OF DENOTE

                          Protesilaos Stavrou
                          info@protesilaos.com
                         ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

This document contains the release notes for each tagged commit on the
project’s main git repository: <https://github.com/protesilaos/denote>.

The newest release is at the top.  For further details, please consult
the manual: <https://protesilaos.com/emacs/denote>.

Table of Contents
─────────────────

1. Version 3.0.0 on 2024-06-30

1 Version 3.0.0 on 2024-06-30
═════════════════════════════

  This major release comes about two years after the first version of
  Denote, which was published on 2022-06-27. A lot of technicalities
  have changed in the meantime, though the core idea remains the same.
  In fact, the original video presentation I did is still relevant,
  especially for those looking to get started with Denote (but remember
  to consult the latest documentation for up-to-date information—and ask
  me if you have any questions).

  Version 3 iterates on refinements that we made over the life cycle of
  version 2. Existing users will find that their workflow remains the
  same, though they now have even more options at their disposal.

  As usual, my release notes are detailed. Please take your time to read
  them: they are here for you.

  Special thanks to Jean-Philippe Gagné Guay, a long-time contributor to
  the project, for working on some of the items covered herein. I am not
  covering everything, as many important changes are not user-facing.
  Please consult the Git log for further details.

1.1 File name components can be written in any order
────────────────────────────────────────────────────

  [ Relevant blog post:

<https://protesilaos.com/codelog/2024-05-19-emacs-denote-reorder-file-name-components/>.]

  Users can now change the variable `denote-file-name-components-order'
  to affect how Denote file names are constructed. By default, file
  names are written using this scheme (consult the manual for the
  details):

  ┌────
  │ IDENTIFIER--TITLE__KEYWORDS.EX
  └────

  An optional `SIGNATURE' field can be added, thus:

  ┌────
  │ IDENTIFIER==SIGNATURE--TITLE__KEYWORDS.EXT
  └────

  By modifying the `denote-file-name-components-order', users can
  produce file names like these:

  ┌────
  │ --TITLE__KEYWORDS@@IDENTIFIER.EXT
  │ __SIGNATURE--TITLE__KEYWORDS@@IDENTIFIER.EXT
  │ __SIGNATURE--TITLE@@IDENTIFIER__KEYWORDS.EXT
  └────

  Note that when the `DATE' is not the first component, it gets the `@@'
  prefix to (i) remain unambiguous and (ii) make it easy to target it
  directly for search purposes.

  Thanks to Jean-Philippe Gagné Guay for the contribution in pull
  request 360: <https://github.com/protesilaos/denote/pull/360>.

  We discussed the possible delimiters for the `IDENTIFIER' in issue
  332: <https://github.com/protesilaos/denote/issues/332>. Thanks to
  Jean-Philippe, Nick Bell, Maikol Solis, and mentalisttraceur for their
  insights. Our concern was to use characters that are stylistically
  fine, while they are not special symbol in regular expressions (as
  those make searching a bit less convenient).

  Please remember that the file-naming scheme is the cornerstone of
  Denote. If you do change how your notes are named, make sure to be
  consistent throughout, otherwise you will likely make it harder for
  yourself to find what you need.

1.2 Exclude certain files from all prompts
──────────────────────────────────────────

  Sometimes users keep files in their `denote-directory' that they do
  not want to interactive with. These can, for example, be what Org
  produces when exporting to another file format or when archiving a
  heading.

  The user option `denote-excluded-files-regexp' makes is possible to
  omit all those files from the relevant Denote prompts.

  This is in response to requests for such a user option done by Samuel
  W. Flint and zadca123 in issues 376 and 384, respectively:

  • <https://github.com/protesilaos/denote/issues/376>
  • <https://github.com/protesilaos/denote/issues/384>
  …  …