gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines".
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 09:17:16 -0400

On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 18:54:08 -0600 Luis wrote:
> >  2) You may charge a reasonable copying fee for this archive, and may
> > distribute
> > it in aggregate as part of a larger & possibly commercial software
> > distribution
> > (such as a Linux distribution or magazine coverdisk). You must provide
> > proper
> > attribution and ensure this readme and all associated copyright notices, and
> > disclaimers are left intact.
> >  3) You may not charge a fee for the game itself. This includes reselling
> > the
> > game as an individual item.

per my interpretation, the intention of section 3 is to prevent selling
"shrink-wrapped" binaries, without CCS (ie: to prevent loss of software
freedom) - section 2 seems to permit selling the source package including
binaries as a convenience, which is logically equivalent to selling a
"shrink-wrapped" binary with accompanying CCS packed in

ie: if my interpretation is accurate, section 3 can be violated only if binaries
are sold without CCS, not unlike the GPL - the violation would not be so
different as redistributing (with or without a fee) any GPL-licensed binary
distro package, if sold "shrink-wrapped" without source