gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines"
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 16:35:21 +0200

On Thu, 15 Jun 2023 23:07:34 -0400
Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> Is there an actively maintained _libre_ replacement for ScummVM?

I don't see the point of having a libre replacement for ScummVM unless
there is free software that can run in it.

If the goal is to have games/programs similar to what runs inside
ScummVM we likely have alternatives to it (that are not drop in
replacements).

Renpy seems to be a game engine aimed at similar kind of
programs/games.

It probably has a lot of nonfree games made for it too but it also has
free games/programs (like the renpy tutorial) and it has information on
how to make your own game/program too.

The downside is that it runs on less operating systems than ScummVM[1].