gnu-linux-libre

[GNU-linux-libre] third-party package managers

From: bill-auger
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] third-party package managers
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 01:52:34 -0400

On Sun, 9 Jul 2023 18:37:56 +0200 Denis wrote:
> If you have ideas on how to do it better feel free to share them,
> because for me the proposed docker fix is close to ideal I think.

that has been my priority all along, to catalog the possible solutions - there
are not so many options for any of these

all of the possible solutions are in the table in the OP, categorized by
intrusiveness, maintainability, usability, and libre-effectiveness -
whatever is "ideal" for each example, is going to be a compromise of one of
other of those properties

the solution chosen for docker is not ideal because it sacrifices
"libre-effectiveness" - because dicker, like most of these, do not expose
licensing meta-data to the client, the only way to achieve 100%
libre-effectiveness for those, is either to reject them entirely (very easy),
or to host curated repos (very demanding)