gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Can we slow down?

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Can we slow down?
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 02:29:07 -0400

i agree - this is going nowhere fast - i made that proposal in hopes that
it will someday be able to arrive somewhere - i do not expect the proposal to
be acted upon in the short-term - just planting a seed - until that seed bares
fruit, all other discussions, and any work done, are speculative

On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 02:25:24 +0200 Denis wrote:
> discussions that have still some issues left pending:
> - The ScummVM thread has still some things pending (what text to put
>   out, what rationale to use).
> - There new mails with the thread on third party package managers.
> - There is a thread on emulators.
> - And one on Docker and how to deal with Docker that I also need to
>   reply to.
> - There is also one on Parabola packaging of ScummVM.

i dont think we need to do or say anything about ScummVM - that knocks two
items off that list - but even if that were important, it is exactly the same
topic as "emulators" - if ScummVM is a special case, that would be because it
has libre guest applications in the distro repos, while most other emulators do
not - though even that distinction is still undecided

docker, for the purpose of this work-gruop, is one example of a "third party
package managers" so those two items collapse as one line of activity

so we really have only three active lines of activity:

* are the ScummVM games libre?
* third party package managers
* emulators and other hosts of foreign applications

the ScummVM thread is the only one that got out of hand - the ScummVM and
emulators threads were both unprovoked tangents off of the much more
significant 'bass' discussion

the "emulators and other hosts of foreign applications" topic is only loosely
related to software freedom, and only on the second order; because they are all
libre, and all have known libre use-cases - i would suggest putting that one on
the shelf indefinitely

besides those though, there are 4 or 5 important issues that have been left
unaddressed for years - IMHO, adding more active lines of activity is digging
the work-group deeper into technical debt, especially because there is no
indication that anything we do will have any consequence beyond parabola and
replicant

so "yes", i think this work-group should slow down or halt, until someone in a
position of authority does _something_, _anything_ at all to support us in our
efforts