gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Third-Party Package Managers

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Third-Party Package Managers
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 03:03:40 +0200

On Fri, 04 Aug 2023 21:56:27 -0400
Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> However, even if several repos have the same general approach, they
> may not be similar in practice.  Maybe in language A, the users are
> careful, and have upload few nonfree packages, and those are all
> labeled.  Maybe in language B they are sloppy.
>
> The same code for an override list might be good for both A and B
> but the overall solution might need to be different
I think this is the case.

If we look at CRAN (a repository for the R programming language) for
instance there is very strict licensing requirements (which also allow
some nonfree licenses else we would not be discussing it).

Some other repositories seem to have really bad licensing quality as
licenses are completely optional.

Denis.