gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Should the use of C#, Mono, and .NET still be disc

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Should the use of C#, Mono, and .NET still be discouraged?
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2024 22:58:32 -0500

  > Here I didn't look into it yet so maybe there are better workarounds
  > than modifying the build system (here Maven), like finding ways to make
  > it find its dependencies somehow, or configuring it to find its
  > dependencies.

I don't know what specific problems interfere with packaging those
Java programs, or how you're thinking of fixing them.  And I don't want
to know -- I don't have time to think about that.

But I do want to say that making those programs support ./configure and make
would do more than just make those problems packagable.

It would make their build methods compatible, establishing a new
interface uniformity.  They would be a big step forward.

  > > Could you tell me the nams of 4 or 5 Java packages it would be good
  > > to make buildable in a reasonable way?  Those suggestions would make
  > > it easier to recroit people to work on this.

  > In Parabola we only have issues with the Maven build system so far (I
  > don't think we have packages using even more problematic build systems
  > like Gradle etc).

I don't know those names -- I have never dealt with any of those.
But I'm only asking you to make a list of specific targets for working
to make Java programs packageable.

  > Beside extra dependencies to find, some packages (like junit) have
  > multiple directories in their source code so to build it the packager
  > needs to find the right order for building all that (which directory to
  > build first). This is usually done by running builds and looking at
  > errors and improving the order step by step.

I am trying to understand that, but I am puzzled here.  There is some Java
build system which will biold junit.  Can you run it, and see what order it
compiles files in, and adopt that as the order for the makefile to use?

Does the order for building the subdirectories of Junit vary from day to day?
Does it vary from machine to machine?  That seems surprising to me.