gnu-misc-discuss

Re: GPL and statically linking with non-GPL standard C library

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPL and statically linking with non-GPL standard C library
Date: 26 May 2004 15:03:37 +0200

ap85@georgetown.edu (Alexander R. Pruss) writes:

> I'd like to distribute GPL code compiled with Borland's C compiler,
> and statically linked with Borland's C library.  Is this permitted?

According to what?  The GPL clearly tells you that you have to add the
source code of your stuff.

> The question comes down to the GPL exception: "However, as a special
> exception, the source code distributed need not include anything
> that is normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with
> the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating
> system on which the executable runs, unless that component itself
> accompanies the executable."

If you have a program intended for a particular compiler/build
environment, a valid case can be made that the respective libraries
belong to the program.

However, since in most cases for a private person the most interesting
question is not "what is the likelihood for my view to prevail in
court" but rather "how do I avoid getting into court in the first
place", the easiest solution is to just ask the copyright holder
whether your application is what he considers permitted within the
rights of the licence.