gnu-misc-discuss

Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:31:01 +0200

"Christopher C. Stacy" wrote:
[...]
>  Martin> Can you provide some evidence that the FSF's positions on copyright,
>  Martin> patents, and trademarks are identical, if that's what you're saying?
>
> I'm speaking primarily of copyrights here, but RMS also fights software
> patents.  Read some of his writings, especially the earlier ones, or just
> talk to him.  The part where he says that all software should be "free, like
> the air that we breath" captures the general spirit, ...

Yup. Quoting his pro bono counsel:

http://emoglen.law.columbia.edu/publications/dcm.html

- abolition of all forms of private property in ideas

- common social development of computer programs and all other forms
of software ... as public goods

http://www.economist.com/research/Economics/alphabetic.cfm?TERM=PUBLIC%20SPENDING#PUBLIC%20GOODS

----
PUBLIC GOODS

Things that can be consumed by everybody in a society, or nobody
at all. They have three characteristics. They are:

- non-rival – one person consuming them does not stop another
person consuming them;

- non-excludable – if one person can consume them, it is
impossible to stop another person consuming them;

- non-rejectable – people cannot choose not to consume them
even if they want to.
----

And the last bullet is what makes it "free". ;-)

regards,
alexander.