gnu-misc-discuss

Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:35:11 +0100

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 18:12 -0500, Isaac wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:30:58 +0100, Rui Miguel Seabra <rms@1407.org> wrote:
> >
> > --=-6JhBhZOKGT72s1WYHe6p

> >>=20
> >> I wrote #include directive.=20
> >
> > And as such, effectively include a file written by someone else into
> > your work.
> >

> I have two questions for you.
>
> 1.  Does the result of including a file result in copyrightable expression
> showing up in the executable?

Irrelevant. Copyright for computer programs is applied in any form. Some
programs don't even have a compiled executable and are interpreted.

> 2.  Is source code with an include directive a derivative work based on
> whatever file the include directive points to?

Irrelevant. What is relevant is:
  Is the new work the same without including the file?
  Is it 100% the same? I bet the compiler would say it isn't...

  So it is a derivate work.

Rui