gnu-misc-discuss

Re: Question About GNU General Public License

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Question About GNU General Public License
Date: 13 Jul 2004 12:27:29 +0200

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > It doesn't change the program.
> >
> > You better clue yourself in about what linking does.  It resolves
> > symbols.
>
> That doesn't change the program.

Not the original, but the copy (linked in memory or on disk).  That it
is a copy that is linked and that you retain the original somewhere
else does not mean that the copy is not changed by entering the memory
addresses of the linked library.

> Go read the copyright law defintion of what the "computer program"
> is.

> > > It can be undone.
> >
> > Not when we are talking about the resolution to a running image
> > because the fixup chains are lost in the process of linking.
>
> In my "CEEDUMPS" (C/C++ on mainframe) nothing is lost.

We are not talking about "CEEDUMPS" but on final linking in general.
In the case of Linux, of ELF files.

> > > If you have a map you can "undo" static linking.
> >
> > Then there should be some command line utility that can do the job,
> > given appropriate options.  How do you unlink statically linked
> > binaries again?
>
> Write a command utility and patch gcc if you need it. I don't need
> it.

You'd really make an impressive spectacle of yourself in court.