gnu-misc-discuss

Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:51:32 +0100

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 12:37 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> telford@xenon.triode.net.au wrote:
> > GPL does not force you to distribute, you are allowed to keep your
> > modifications secret and unpublished provided you do not distribute.
>
> I know that. FSF doesn't care as long as you don't want to compete
> with free softare in the "add-on" market. FSF's goal is the complete
> elimination of software market. Software == Public Goods. I pay
> enough taxes, thank you.

Wrong. The real software market is services. About 96% according to
Microsoft. They recently said this (over some declarations frm a
Brazillian  Government representative against Microsoft) by saying that
on a sollution, tipically 4% is spent on the licensing.

So what remains are the many services that can be provided using
software.

The Free Software style of market, specially thanks to the GNU GPL, is a
market where coopetition brings more rewards than the typical
proprietary software competition.

Rui