gnu-misc-discuss

Re: SCO laying an ambush for the GPL?

From: Nick Kew
Subject: Re: SCO laying an ambush for the GPL?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:48:46 +0100

In article <slrncfn9hq.etu.chris@ccserver.keris.net>,
        Chris Croughton <chris@keristor.net> writes:

> in this sense is another word for 'fishing' (as in "I don't know whether
> the suspect has illegal drugs, but I want a warrant to go and search for
> them just in case").

That sums it up, doesn't it?  If the police can present a strong enough
case to the relevant officialdom, they'll get a warrant.

> In the SCO case, they are claiming that their code is in an open-source
> product.

Only in public - not in the IBM court case.  The difference there is that
they're now emphasising a Derived Work line on why IBM weren't allowed to
contribute their own code that had previously been in AIX or Dynix.

Because the GPL concerns derived works, this could set a precedent for
cases about software alleged to be a derived work of something-GPL.

--
Nick Kew