gnu-misc-discuss

Re: Licensing Fonts

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Licensing Fonts
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 19:36:04 -0600

Geoffrey Washburn writes:
> I'm not sure I follow.  I just did some quick investigation, and for
> example AbiSource provides the source to AbiWord under the GPL, yet
> retains the trademark on AbiWord.

You can enforce your trademark and release a package under the GPL.  The
trademark is not an additional restriction as discussed in the GPL because
it has nothing to do with copyright.  Adding a seperate file saying
"Fooglefont is a registered trademark of Geoffrey Washburn and may not be
used without permission" would not make your package incompatible with the
GPL.  However, I suggest that you either study up on trademark law (or
consult an attorney), give up the trademark, of forget about attaching it
to your package.  Trademark law is very different from copyright law.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org