gnu-misc-discuss

Re: license issue: calling a GPLv2 library

From: Merijn de Weerd
Subject: Re: license issue: calling a GPLv2 library
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:17:17 +0200

On 2006-06-22, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
> Merijn de Weerd <merijn+nospam@realemail.net> writes:
>>     Therefore, by modifying or distributing the Program (or any work
>>     based on the Program), you indicate your acceptance of this
>>     License to do so, and all its terms and conditions for copying,
>>     distributing or modifying the Program or works based on it.
>>
>> That sure looks to me like a mechanism to derive acceptance
>> of the GPL.
>
> Not really.  You can't sue people to accept the license.  You can only
> sue them to heed it.

Why not? The above *says* that modifying or distribution is
acceptance of the license. Or do you mean, you don't have to
agree with that statement either?

> Not really.  It is just pointing out to people that not having signed
> anything does not make any difference with regard to having to heed
> the license in case they want to make use of the rights it grants
> above the default.

Right, I see what you mean. It does sound a bit silly this
way though. "You don't have to accept these terms, but if you
want to accept these terms you agree that you accept these terms."
Or something.

Merijn

--
Remove +nospam to reply